At times, it becomes difficult to decide which document to keep for a long time and which not, since you never know when you will need them. There are some documents that one has to keep with them for their entire life and some for a few months only. Might be you know that some relevant documents like bank statements, checkbooks need much attention; however, for how much time? What’s the ideal way to protect all such personal data? This guide will let you know more about the same. Let’s get started!
How Long Should you keep Important Documents?
Keep for a Year or Less
Documents like bank records, particularly the ones that show the bills of credit cards, transactions, reports of annual tax and so on must be trashed after the year.
Keep These Forever
• Legal documents: These incorporate divorce as well as marriage certificates, court case settlements and so on.
• Personal identification documents: These incorporate current passports, birth certificates and so on.
• Education records: These include college transcripts, diplomas as well as degrees.
To be Replaced with a New One
Insurance policies, investment, and social security statements are documents that one must shred periodically to avoid any confusion. It doesn’t matter whether you are renewing any insurance policy or making any new investment, no doubt, a new paper will be provided to you along with updated details. This, as a result, will make the previous one useless.
Keep for Three Months
Atm receipt, receipts of daily purchases, utility bills can be stored for three months or less than that. It’s useless to store these after three months as it will only make your home or workplace appear messy.
How Can You Keep Your Important Documents Safe?
Everyone has some important documents that they need to store it in a safe location. Whether it’s for business or simply personal use, the fact is that there are some papers and documents that one can’t afford to lose. Below given are some tips that you can follow to keep your documents safe. Have a look!
• All in one Place:
Make sure to place all important documents in one place, or you can use a simple container for storing all such important documents.
• Get rid of Clutter:
Remember to store those documents in the container that are important. Receipts of some product or other important documents one can store in their cabinet too.
• Always put them Back:
Whenever you take out any important document, ensure to keep it back in the box after completing the work. Remember not to keep it on countertops or somewhere else.
• Keep Them Safe:
Keep all important documents in a secure place. Keep it away from the regular files that you use every day.
How Shredding Documents can Benefit You?
Documents are important and to avoid identity theft; it’s important that one should hire the services of document shredding. Document shredding gives business owner and customers a peace of mind and relaxation since they know that their documents will securely shred by such companies.
The fact is that some documents only need to be shred which can incorporate something that has birth dates, passwords, PINs, account numbers and so on. The safest method is to shred those documents that are not important for you.
Check out the Benefits of Documents Shredding:
• It gives business owners, as well as customers; mind a relaxation since they know that all the information will be destroyed by these companies properly.
• By hiring a company, one won’t have to fret regarding anything as it will save money since you won’t have to buy expensive document shredders.
• One can eliminate all waste from their place. Hiring the services of paper shredding is an ideal way to eliminate all clutter like useless tax forms.
• Landfills are generally flooded with tons of useless papers and files, and by hiring the services of document shredding; you are helping the environment and putting your efforts to minimize waste.
Final Verdict :
Hope this blog has helped you in knowing more about how long to keep essential documents and the importance of shredding all documents. What’s more imperative is to hire the best and reliable company if you are looking for document shredding in Albuquerque.